logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
2014 Avatar Golf Tour
saphFIRE13
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 1:02:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)

Current Leaderboard Standings (through Pine Forest)

---------------------------------- UPCOMING TOUR EVENT ----------------------------------

The Masters @ Augusta National

---------------------------------------- April 10-13, 2014 ----------------------------------------

LEADERBOARD

Place Name Rd1 Rd2 Rd3 Rd4 Tot

FORMAT AND GENERAL RULES

The Avatar Golf Tour is a points-based tournament series open to all online players. The purpose of the Tour is to promote friendly competition and to feature outstanding courses created by community designers. Please adhere to these guidelines for online tournament play:

(1) Rounds for Tour events must be completed from the BLUE tees unless otherwise specified.
(2) Putters must be used on the greens. NO other club may be used while on the putting surface.
(3) If CHIP is the default swing-type and the hole is within chipping distance, given the lie of the terrain/elevation, players must use the chip function (SW/PW).
(3a) Players may opt to putt from off the green which is acceptable in place of a chip shot.
(3b) If ball is in a deep greenside bunker or facing a steep elevation slope, player may opt for FULL swing-type.
(4) Scores MUST be submitted by one of two ways: Barkers Crest Forum message with a link/photo of the screen capture (photo must include course title, player name, and total score) -OR- Xbox Live message from at least two players to verify each other's score from a given round.

Example:
Xbox Live > Messages > to: saphFIRE13, from: JOHN DOE, DAN SMITH

Round 1 Score for JOHN DOE, F9-36, B9-36, TOT-72. Witnessed by DAN SMITH
Round 1 Score for DAN SMITH, F9-37, B9-35, TOT-72. Witnessed by JOHN DOE

THURSDAY-FRIDAY: Rounds 1 & 2
SATURDAY-SUNDAY: Rounds 3 & 4

Scores must be submitted by 11:59pm (Local Time Zone) on Friday for Rounds 1 and 2, Sunday for Rounds 3 and 4. If a player fails to complete a tournament weekend, no penalty will be assessed but the player will be disqualified from placing. A player who drops from a tournament weekend will still receive points for participating in the event.

Players may play as many rounds as they want during the given days of the event. Submit only your best score for each round. For rounds 1 & 2 (Thursday-Friday) submit TWO scores (best two) and for rounds 3 & 4 (Saturday-Sunday) submit TWO scores (best two).
1 user thanked saphFIRE13 for this useful post.
x Mataeus x on 1/21/2014(UTC)
JOEgolferG
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 1:13:19 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just got your message on xbox live and would like to say that its a great idea, one that ive thought about recently as well. I would definitely be up for this and would participate every week in the events. Course Committee is a great idea! I personally think if we are to have a tour then it should be a collection of true realistic courses that are played upon. I would love to contribute courses to the tour schedule and im sure there are plenty of other avatar golfers that will do so too. A collection of courses should be the starting point for this tour ill send you some over when im online maybe later if your on. How would the points/ranking system work?
Yeltzman
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:12:12 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Due To code 3/4 errors always tough to get a fair tournament running plus need rules for fair rounds etc...driver on greens,chipping on greens,5 iron chipping...

I think the best way to go is what we used to play a ryder cup type tournament....matchplay so if any code 3/4 errors can just start again at same place...used to be a lot of fun North America vs the sunnysiders..

You could form say 8, 3 men teams and play a different course each week...just my view but I can tell you the ryder cup format we used to play were great fun...

Good luck with it

Your Latest Finished course Joe is the Right Course for Matchplay ryder cup shame it wasn't around a year ago....very tough
JOEgolferG
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:21:57 PM(UTC)

Interesting format Yeltzman and i agree with your proposed set of rules regarding play on the greens but i still think a season long Fed Ex style points season would be more worth while, we would have to come up with a ruleing for code 4 errors.
Yeltzman
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:27:34 PM(UTC)

Also Got to Consider in next few weeks/months....people going to new consoles....tried this before all starts out well with people playing then slowly people stop and no where to be seen again...
saphFIRE13
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:31:50 PM(UTC)

Man

I agree, the Ryder Cup format is a blast and we might be able to incorporate an event into the tour schedule that uses that format. But my vision is more along the lines of what Joe already touched on, a season long individual point standings.

As for format, I think it'd be best to keep it super casual. Play as many rounds as you want during that weekend on that course and just submit your best score (however many rounds we decide). Might have to say that scores must be submitted by screenshot. Not sure how to enforce the rules about driving/chipping on the green and what not. Just kind of got to chalk it up to player honesty. As for chipping with a 5-iron, I've got no problems as long as you're not doing it on the green :P That takes skill.
JOEgolferG
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:32:10 PM(UTC)

I can imagine but could still be good even if it were just the regulars playing because there are a fair few. One more thing i think we should at least stage all four majors this year.
Yeltzman
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:39:38 PM(UTC)

got to disagree with you about 5 iron chipping sapphire....I treat it the same way as using driver on green...as long as you hit it right will go in hole....rules we used in ryder club....no drivers on greens and 5 iron chiping,if on green have to use putter.... where the rules of the game will always fall down

Augusta.....can be staged
Pinehurst no2.....no done Pinehurst 23 I suppose
Hoylake royal Liverpool....nothing close
Valhalla ....nothing close either

Needs some designers to do these courses..
JOEgolferG
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:54:06 PM(UTC)

I think once a week its should just be organised so that we all play together and play between 2-4 rounds and the lowest score is obviously the winner. Points wise each tournament should have a set number of points that players earn depending on their finishing positions.
saphFIRE13
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 4:43:43 PM(UTC)

Man

@Yeltzman: I guess it would have to depend on what you would define as "chipping". I would agree that you should have to use the Chip technique if you are greenside and within distance to chip without extreme (uphill) elevation. But if I'm under a tree about 100 yards out and the default says 8 or 9 iron, I don't see the harm in punching out with a 3 or 5 iron for a low bump-and-run.

@JOE golfer: That would be ideal, but the logistics just aren't there. Trying to get 8 or more people to be online at the same time (Time Zones) and not encounter errors and such just isn't possible. If you're familiar at all with www.wgt.com, they host online tournaments all the time, including a staged virtual U.S. Open. Typically they allow you to play as many rounds as you want and your lowest score is automatically taken.
JOEgolferG
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 11:28:02 PM(UTC)

I suppose with the time-zones it could be difficult but unlimited rounds wouldn't be that great most weeks it will end with people in a tie for first place i think a limited amount would put more pressure on people to score well in a round.
saphFIRE13
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 10:48:02 AM(UTC)

Man

Again, hard to control. There would be no way to tell if someone had played just four rounds or forty rounds. It's just really hard to control those types of things in an online setting.
JOEgolferG
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 1:16:21 PM(UTC)

Yeah true what if the american players played in a group together and the british/european players played together to determine no cheating has occurred? have you had many responses on your xbox live about this idea yet?
Strungung
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 09, 2014 4:43:05 PM(UTC)

very interesting discussion
coruler2
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 12:44:09 AM(UTC)

I would be interested but really only as a casual player. I have two younger boys and a wife who occupy the TV all day so I get very little chance to play anytime except late at nights (I'm in AZ). Thus something where you can announce a course and you can play it with any of the other competitors (so you can ensure no cheating) would work for me. I won't be able to make a specific time weekly to participate, but if you leave it open where you have say 48hrs to complete 1 or 2 rounds that would be best.

A few other things of note...If you go strictly score, then pin positions and stuff can greatly alter the difficulty between players. I would suggest here removing all but one pin set and using that version of the course for everyone to play. Also, I think any standard course should work (no ramps/etc). I like to play unique fantasy courses more than reproductions of real courses, because most reproductions are pretty bad (imo). Maybe let the winner of the previous week pick the course for next week.

If you really want a decent number of players (more than 10 or so), you'll probably have to make it more casual and accessible. Maybe the honor system is the best way to do it. As I know how good most of the regulars are, it will be pretty easy to see if someone is cheating or playing way above their average play.

*Final note- If anyone wants any of my courses hit me up online. My latest is Strawberry Fields which is probably the easiest course I've ever made.

Thanks
Coruler2 (Dale)
coruler2
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 12:48:25 AM(UTC)

Nice logo by the way :)
JOEgolferG
#18 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:45:24 AM(UTC)

Good point about the pin positions because it could be a big advantage to players who get the easier pins and i think the way tournament play will go is post your best score between Thursday to Sunday every week and you will accumulate points depending on your score and what other people scored.
JOEgolferG
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:49:40 AM(UTC)

Just to let people know i can manage to get on every Sunday and play if any of you fancy playing in the same group im on between 10am and 6pm UK time depending on how long it takes for my actual golf competitions to finish which is usually 12 - 1.
saphFIRE13
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:59:19 PM(UTC)

Man

The 2014 Avatar Golf Tour will kick off Thursday, January 16 at the Tropical Ocean Resort course (Blue Tees)
1 user thanked saphFIRE13 for this useful post.
CyRUS on 1/16/2014(UTC)
coruler2
#21 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:47:37 PM(UTC)

I know the rules say you can play as many rounds as you want and to take the lowest 2 scores for Th-F and Sa-Su, but I'm only going to play two rounds so I'll submit my real scores on first try. Maybe saphFIRE you can *recommend* this? In golf, honor is greater than fame.